When my brother organizes a BBQ he always prepares these delicious baked potatoes with bacon and chives as a side dish. Yesterday I was really in the mood for this comforting dish but with no potatoes on hand I tried this version with sweet potato.
Embellished with spring onions and radishes from our garden this was a very nutritious and comforting meal. Something you just need the comfort of food: mashed potatoes, spaghetti, pot roast…Food good for the soul.
You can easily swap the sweet potatoes (or yams) for regular potatoes if you don’t like the taste of sweet potato.
You can prepare this as a side dish or prepare two potatoes per person for a semi-light dinner.
- 4 sweet potatoes
- 8 radishes, sliced very thin
- 2 spring onions, sliced very thin
- 200 gr bacon, cut into small pieces - I always buy Herta they are pre-cut, very easy to use
- pepper and salt
- optional: sour cream and chives
- olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 250°C.
- Wash and brush your potatoes clean. Dry off and coat thinly with some olive oil.
- Make little cuts into your potato with a knife or fork.
- Bake the potatoes for about 15 to 20 minutes, check regularly so they don't burn. You may want to cover them with a wet baking sheet.
- Let you baked potatoes cool down a bit and bake the bacon in the meanwhile.
- When cooled down, cut the top of your potatoes and gently remove the flesh from the inside of the potatoes with a spoon. Make sure to do this very carefully because you will be filling the potatoes back up afterwards.
- Mash the inside of the potatoes and add some spices (chives, pepper and a little bit of salt) to your tasting. Mix in the bacon and fill the potatoes up again.
- Right before serving place them for about 5 minutes in a hot oven (180°C).
- Sprinkle with radishes and spring onions and add some sour cream if you like this.