After several complaints about his health such as tiredness, low immunity, cramps and intestinal problems Mr Husband got the verdict this week that he is intolerant to gluten. Ok so now what???
Gluten are like in everything no?
After some research I must say it will be fine, no more bread and ‘pistolékes’ but there are plenty of alternatives I think.
Agreed you find gluten hidden in the strangest places like candy, stock, soy sauce but nowadays you can find a lot of gluten free alternatives on the net and in specialized stores such as Gusta.
As from now on more and more gluten free foods and recipes on Must be Yummie, but it fits well with the ‘healthy’ purpose of my blog, no?
Today I present you my first gluten free recipe: seared tofu with broccoli and rice. You will love it. It is a veggie recipe but tastes so good with the Asian Flavours.
If you are a glutard make sure to use Tamari Soy Sauce, others can use regular soy sauce. If you are not a tofu lover you can replace the tofu with salmon or chicken.
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 tsp grated fresh ginger
- 4 tbsp (Tamari) Soy Sauce - I use Kikoman
- 2 tbsp mirin
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp honey
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- scallions, chopped
- 1 broccoli, washed, cut into small pieces and steamed
- 200 gr steamed rice
- 250 gr Tofu (I use Provamel), cut into cubes
- corn starch
- pepper to season
- Start by steaming your broccoli.
- In the meanwhile mix the soy sauce, mirin, garlic, honey, sugar, lime juice and ginger.
- Get the tofu out of its package and cover the tofu with a clean kitchen towel (or some paper) and put something heavy on the tofu (I use a plate) and let it drain for about 10 minutes. Then cut the tofu into small cubes of approx. 1 cm.
- Cover the tofu pieces with corn starch so that every side has a little layer of corn starch.
- Heat the sesame oil in a large frying pan and fry the tofu for about 2 minutes on every side until golden and crisp.
- Add the broccoli and the sauce mixture and cover and let this simmer for about 5 minutes on low heat .
- Put the hot steamed rice in a bowl and top this off with the broccoli/tofu mixture.
- Finish of with scallions and maybe some sesame seeds of you like.
- I always serve this with some extra limes.