Supermarket chain Carrefour has launched a great campaign to support Belgian producers called:”Become a Belgetarian!” to support the local Belgian products. I really like this initiative because by buying and preparing local products we not only support our local suppliers, our ecological footprint becomes smaller too.
Every month a few products are placed in the picture. Carrefour gives some information on these products and some nice recipes. Check out their site for more information on this concept.
It was difficult to choose from all the nice products this month: beef, leeks, butter, cabbage and turnips.
Because of the horrible rainy and windy weather last week I was really in the mood for comfort food and decided to prepare a great plate with potatoes, fried leeks and North Sea shrimp. I never really use butter since I don’t digest it well but for a nice fluffy puree you need real butter.
So what the heck for once it won’t hurt!
- 500 gr potatoes for French Fries
- 200 gr butter
- 100 ml milk
- a pinch of pepper
- a pinch of salt
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1 egg yolk
- 100 gr of grey North Sea shrimp
- 2 leeks, sliced in Julienne
- olive oil to fry the leeks (approx. 3 tbsp)
- Peel and rinse the potatoes. Put them in a large skillet and add water. Cook potatoes with some salt.
- When the potatoes are cooked, drain the water. Add the butter in little pieces and add the milk. Mix well with an electric mixer and add the spices to your taste. Put aside until use.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet and fry the leek in little batches until crispy. Drain them on some kitchen paper.
- Heat the puree and mix again and add the egg yolk.
- Put the puree on the plates and top with the fried leeks. Finish of with the shrimps.
- Enjoy this perfect comforting dish! Yummie and so easy to prepare.