This is a perfect soup for the colder autumn nights. It has a complex taste and is really easy to prepare.
You get the special taste from roasting the fennel and the garlic in the oven before starting your soup. You must try this with the roasted vegetables, it really give your soup the extra dimension and lifts it from a simple tomato fennel soup to a great tomato fennel soup.
The good thing is you don’t even need broth to give your soup this nice deep taste.
- 2 bulbs of fennel finely chopped
- 10 cloves of garlic peeled and finely chopped
- 3 large tomatoes, I peel them because I like my soup to be smooth
- 1 can of tomato puree
- Pepper and sea salt
- Olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Drizzle the fennel and garlic with some olive oil and season with pepper and salt.
- Spread the vegetables over a baking tray you have covered with baking paper and roast for 20 minutes in the oven or until fennel is softened.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large skillet and add the fennel, garlic and tomatoes.
- Add the tomato puree after 2 minutes and let it stew for 5 minutes before adding 1l of water.
- Let this soup simmer for 15 minutes and then mix it with a blender of mixer. If this soup is too thick, you can always add some water.