When I was little my mom always went to a little bakery to buy chocolate mousse. According to her the best chocolate mousse ever. I must say I do have good memories of this mousse but I simply can’t eat this anymore because of you know all the butter, sugar and cream….
When I overheard her telling my children about the good old birthday parties with big bowls of ‘chocomousse’ I decided to try out a dairy free version for them to taste and came up with this recipe.
In the past I have tried vegan chocolate mousse. All over Pintereset and Instagram there were pictures of what seemed like a great chocolate mousse with avocado. Brrr that really wasn’t my thing. I’d rather eat no dessert at all than that version of chocomousse, I still have foodie nightmares about it.
Easy peasy and relatively healthy…after all it stays chocolate mousse!
Only 4 ingredients!
- A little bit of sugar
- A little bit of cream or yoghurt
And that’s it! Really!
- 200 gr dark chocolate – I use Noir de Noir by Côte D’Or
- 3 tbsp Alpro Nature Yoghurt of Alpro Crème Culinaire
- 4 egg whites
- 4 egg yolks
- 2 tbsp palm sugar or brown sugar
- Start by melting the chocolate ‘au bain marie’. This way the chocolate won’t burn. I use a little pan with water and sometimes cook rice or quinoa in this pan while melting the chocolate. Multitasking is a habit of mine…
- When the chocolate is melted, stir in the Alpro cream and mix until smooth.
- Mix the egg whites in a clean bowl until stiff. I always turn the bowl upside down over my children’s heads, they love it! It little playfulness in the kitchen…
- In another bowl mix the egg yolks with the sugar until creamy and thickened.
- Add the chocolate mixture to the egg yolks and mix until smooth then gently fold in the egg whites. You want the air to stay in the mousse.
- Pour the mousse in small bowls or glasses so you can serve individual portions or in one big bowl as you prefer.
- Let the mousse rest for at least 3 hours in the fridge, preferably overnight for an even fluffier result.
- Enjoy your treat!