When my friend announced she would be participating in the #betterbodybetterlife2015 challenge she asked me if Must Be Yummie would have some tips and tricks.
Of course I was happy to give here some of my tips and tricks and I was thinking about how to help her. What is the thing you miss the most when following a specific diet….snacking during an aperitif! Munching on some nuts or sunflower seeds can get boring when everybody around you is eating fried calamar, chicken wings, pizza…
So I decided I would try to prepare her a healthy snack and came up with this recipe. So simple and so easy but watch out with the soy sauce, the taste can be to salty very quickly.
Nice surplus is that my kids and Mr Husband love these soy glazed sunflower seeds as well so I have been preparing them a lot lately. Now I make large portions and keep them in an airtight container.
Sunflower seeds are very healthy they contain minerals, vitamins and protein.
You can prepare them roasted and just leave them like that but I love them prepared with some tamari soy sauce and some hot pepper (not for the kids).
Important note when you prepare this snack in the oven is that you must constantly watch your sunflower seeds because the can easily burn and when this happens you have to throw it all away.
- 500 gr sunflower seeds
- 1 tbsp of sunflower oil or coconut oil (if you are using coconut oil you need to melt it before using it)
- 4 tbsp tamari soy sauce
- ¼ tsp Nanami Togarashi (his is Japanese red pepper) or cayenne pepper - you can add more to your liking
- 1 tbsp of honey
- Preheat the oven to 160°C.
- Mix all the ingredients well together so that all the sunflower seeds are coated.
- Put a baking sheet on your oven tray and spread the sunflower seeds evenly.
- Bake the sunflower seeds for 10 to 15 minutes until they are brown and crisp. You might want to stir from time to time to make them bake evenly.
- When they are ready get them out of the oven and push them on your baking tray with the backside of a spoon of you like clumps.
- Let the sunflower seeds cool down completely and store in a dry and dark place.
- Enjoy your next aperitif with this snack, sprinkle it on a salad or just keep a bag in your handbag....whatever you like!