I haven’t been following the Dagen Zonder Vlees Challenge very well this year but as I say all the time I have less meat. One of the recipes I have tried out is this Sweet Potato Lasagna. It is one of the recipes from the A. Vogel Lenteweek that starts next week and I really want to share my version of it with you.
If you want to read more about the Lenteweek, you can do so here.
This is a perfect dish to prepare on Sunday and stock it in the fridge for a busy weeknight. This gives the tastes the time to really set. I have used dairy free mozzarella but you can also use another type of cheese if you like.
It is important to let the lasagna cook until it is tender, this really depends on how thin or thick you slice the sweet potato. The best way to see if it is ready is to stick in the lasagna with a fork in different places. If you think the lasagna is going to burn, cover it with tinfoil.
Remember there is a give away on Must Be Yummie from A. Vogel. Check this post to see how you can enter.
- 300 gr sweet potato ( approx. 2 sweet potatoes)
- 200 gr fresh spinach leaves, washed and chopped
- 1 diced onion
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 400 ml passata (I use Elvea)
- 125 gr mozzarella
- pepper and salt
- Italian Spices
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- olive oil
- Preheat your oven to 180°C.
- Peel the sweet potato and slice thinly. Make sure they all have more or less the same size.
- Heat olive oil in a non- stick frying pan on medium heat and add the garlic and onion. Sear this for about 5 minutes and then add the chopped spinach. Simmer for 5 more minutes until the spinach has shrunk.
- Add the passata and spices and let this simmer for 10 minutes on a low heat. Taste and add spices to your liking.
- Grease a baking tray with olive oil - I use Pyrex or Le Creuset - and start with a layer of sweet potato slices. Top this of with sauce and cover with another layer of sweet potato and so on until you finish with a layer of sweet potato.
- Crumble the mozzarella on top of this and season with some black pepper.
- Bake for one hour to 1,5 hour at 180C°. Stick into the lasagna from time to time with a sharp knife or fork to see if it is cooked. When all feels tender the lasagna is ready.